The FSB of Russia laid the third charge to Crimean Asan Akhmetov – illegal trafficking of explosive devices. This was informed by lawyer Ayder Azamatov.
Asan Akhmetov was laid the third charge under RF Criminal Code Article 226.1-3 (Illegal trafficking of explosive devices, ammunition, etc….).
“The most severe punishment for such a crime is from 7 to 12 years in prison with a fine of up to one million rubles. It should be noted that this is the third charge brought against Asan Akhtemov. The previous two charges do not differ much in terms of sentences and only emphasize the purpose of such charges. The goal is to toughen the accusation as much as possible so that it would be even worse for Asan,” Mr.Azamatov said.
“The goal is to toughen the accusation as much as possible so that Asan shall be terrified even more. However, Asan does not give up, he was surprised hearing about such actions of the investigator, and pointed out out that all this, including the events of the new charge, had been ‘cooked’ right on the fly by the preliminary investigation, and then he had been forced to do as he had been told. He understood that he had no other choice. Now, when Asan has completely denied the previously given testimony and reported torture against him, more and more new charges appear,” the lawyer notes.
Earlier, the lawyer reported that articles on “sabotage committed by an organized group” (RF CC Article 281-2(a)) and “illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, storage, transportation, transfer or carrying of explosives or explosive devices committed by a group of persons” (RF CC Article 222.1-4) were added to Asan Akhtemov’s charge. Mr.Azamatov called this “revenge of the FSB for rejecting the first confessionary testimony.”
- We would remind that on September 4, security forces conducted five searches in Crimea followed with detaining five Crimean Tatars: Eldar Odamanov, Nariman Dzhelial, deputy head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people, cousins Asan and Aziz Akhtemovs, Shevket Useinov. Lawyers were not allowed to see them for 24 hours.
- Nariman Dzhelial informed a lawyer only on September 5 that during September 4 he had been held in handcuffs with a bag on his head and under psychological pressure in an unknown place, after which he was taken to the FSB building.
- Immediately after the arrest, Asan Akhtemov was subjected to electrocuting and psychological violence to extort a confession to a crime that he did not commit from him. Moreover, Asan Akhmetov has not been provided any medical care in the pre-trial detention center.
- Mr.Dzhelial, Asan and Aziz Akhtemovs are accused of sabotage (RF CC Article 281). According to the investigation, they were allegedly related to the damage to the gas pipeline on 23 August. At the same time, on August 23, Nariman Dzhelial was in Kiev, at the events of the CRIMEA PLATFORM.
- On September 6, the “Kievsky District Court” of Simferopol arrested Nariman Dzhelial and the Akhtemov brothers for 2 months.
- On September 6, “Kievsky District Court of Simferopol” ordered to place Eldar Odamanov under a 15-days’ administrative arrest, and Shevket Useinov under a 14-days’ administrative arrest under RF CoAO article on ‘disobedience to the policemen’.
- On September 17 the investigation toughened the charge of Asan and Aziz Akhmetovs, requalified their acts within this criminal case – RF CC Article 281 – from Part 1 to Part 2(a) (Sabotage) that may result into a 12-20 years’ sentence. In addition, one more charge – RF CC Article 222.1-4 (“Illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, storage, transportation, transfer or carrying of explosives or explosive devices committed by a group of persons”) has been laid that may be punished with a 10 to 15 year’s sentence.
- On September 22 Nariman Dzhelial was charged with the same articles.