The preliminary investigation of the case of the gas pipeline blowing up in the village of Perevalnoye was completed.
According to lawyer Nikolay Polozov, on December 15, 2021, Mr.Nariman Dzhelial, the first deputy head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people, was finally charged.
“A major property damage to KRYMGAZSETI, the State Unitary Enterprise of the Republic of Crimea, to an amount of RUR 105,237.25 (at the current exchange rate, it is about $ 1,425), was added, and the disconnection of the military unit of the RF Black Sea Navy Coastal Defense unit from the gas supply was qualified as undermining the defense capability of the Russian Federation,” said Nikolay Polozov.
So now the charge includes the following articles of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation 281.2 (a), (b) (committing sabotage by an organized group, resulting in significant property damage), 222.1-4 (illegal acquisition, storage and transportation of explosive devices committed by an organized group), 226.1-3 (illegal transfer of an explosive device across the customs border of the Customs Union within the framework of the EurAsEC committed by an organized group).
Mr.Dzhelial has not admitted guilt on any of the charges.
The defense has started reading the criminal case files. According to the lawyer, a charge sheet is more than likely to be submitted to the ‘Prosecutor’s Office, by the end of the year.
- We would remind that on September 4, security forces conducted five searches in Crimea followed with detaining five Crimean Tatars: Eldar Odamanov, Nariman Dzhelial, deputy head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people, cousins Asan and Aziz Akhtemovs, Shevket Useinov. Lawyers were not allowed to see them for 24 hours.
- Nariman Dzhelial informed a lawyer only on September 5 that during September 4 he had been held in handcuffs with a bag on his head and under psychological pressure in an unknown place, and then he was taken to the FSB building.
- Mr.Dzhelial, Asan and Aziz Akhtemovs were accused of sabotage (RF CC Article 281). According to the investigation, they were allegedly related to the damage to the gas pipeline on 23 August. At the same time, on August 23, Nariman Dzhelial was in Kyiv, at the events of the CRIMEA PLATFORM.
- On October 9 Nariman Dzhelial was moved to Division no 15 of the N.I.Balaban Crimean Republican Center for Mental Health no 1 for a psychological and psychiatric examination. He stayed there until November 8.
- In addition to articles Mr Dzhelial was charged earlier: committing sabotage by an organized group, resulting in significant property damage (RF CC Article 281-2 (a)) and illegal acquisition, storage and transportation of explosive devices committed by an organized group (RF CC Article 222.1-4), the politician has been accused of ‘illegal transfer of an explosive device across the customs border of the Customs Union within the framework of the EurAsEC committed by an organized group’ (RF CC Article 226.1). The sentence under this article can be from 7 to 12 years.
- A pre-trial restriction for Nariman Dzhelial, deputy head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people, was extended: he is to stay in the Pre-Trial Detention Center until January 23, 2022.