The charge of Mr.Nariman Dzhelial, the first deputy head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people, has been toughened: the act was reclassified from accessory in committing sabotage to full participation in committing sabotage.
According to lawyer Nikolay Polozov, during the investigative actions at the FSB Department for the Republic of Crimea and the City of Sevastopol, Nariman Dzhelial was charged with committing a crime under Article 281-1 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation (for committing sabotage).
Then the accused was interrogated today, though Nariman Dzhelial exercised his right not to testify.
In addition, the investigation informed Nariman Dzhelyal and his lawyers about the decisions to perform several expert examinations as well as presented some of the expert’s opinions already available at the moment. In total, 12 examinations have been assigned to date, some of which have already been performed.
In addition, the investigation demanded Nariman Dzhelial’s lawyers to sign non-disclosure agreements.
“Taking into account the negative precedent with our colleague, lawyer Ivan Pavlov, the defense demanded the investigation to concretize the information constituting the secrecy of the investigation, that was satisfied by the investigation.
Thus, the lawyers defending Nariman Dzhelial are no longer entitled to disclose the following information: testimonies of persons who became known in the course of investigative actions and law enforcement intelligence, with the exception of Dzhelial’s testimony, as well as the essence and conclusions of expert studies carried out in the criminal case, publication of expert conclusions, and data of the participants in the pre-trial proceedings, ” the lawyer said.
Mr.Dzhelial said that he was being held in the pre-trial detention center in Simferopol, in a double cell with another cellmate – a defendant in the case against Jehovah’s Witnesses. The state of health of Nariman Dzhelial is satisfactory, his mental determination is positive. The conditions of detention and the attitude of the pre-trial detention center staff are satisfactory.
“The only thing is that the cell is not equipped with a refrigerator, which makes it difficult to store food and the window does not close completely, which can become a problem with decreasing temperature. Nariman asked to convey to everyone his thanks for the support and personal involvement and asked not to forget about Asan and Aziz being defendants of this case as well as not to forget about all political prisoners, – Nikolay Polozov transferred the words of his client.
- We would remind that on September 4, security forces conducted five searches in Crimea followed with detaining five Crimean Tatars: Eldar Odamanov, Nariman Dzhelial, deputy head of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people, cousins Asan and Aziz Akhtemovs, Shevket Useinov. Lawyers were not allowed to see them for 24 hours.
- According to the FSB of the Russian Federation, the searches were carried out in connection with the damage to the gas pipeline in Perevalnoye near Simferopol on August 23. At the same time, it was not reported what kind of damage was in question, no photo and video were made public.
- Eldar Odamanov met with a lawyer only on September 5. According to Eldar, he was held in an unknown place for two days, then he was released, but in 2 minutes, the police detained him again -under Art. 19.3 of the Code of Administrative Offences of the Russian Federation for “refusal to show a passport”, that had been previously seized from him by RF FSB men. The “Kievsky District Court of Simferopol” ordered to place him under a 15-days’ administrative arrest. Shevket Useinov was placed under administrative arrest for 14 days under the same article.
- Nariman Dzhelial informed a lawyer only on September 5 that during September 4 he had been held in handcuffs with a bag on his head and under psychological pressure in an unknown place, after which he was taken to the FSB building.
- Mr.Dzhelial, Asan and Aziz Akhtemovs are accused of sabotage (Article 281 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation). According to the investigation, they were allegedly related to the damage to the gas pipeline on 23 August. At the same time, on August 23, Nariman Dzhelial was in Kiev, at the events of the CRIMEA PLATFORM.
- On September 6, the “Kievsky District Court” of Simferopol arrested Nariman Dzhelial and the Akhtemov brothers for 2 months.
- Compatriots of the detainees went out on September 4 under the headquarters of the FSB of Russia in Simferopol to learn about their fate. About 40 people were detained, including activists, citizen journalists and relatives of the detainees. Later they were released, but 58 protocols were drawn up for “failure to comply with the rules of conduct in an emergency”, some were kept in custody for two weeks for allegedly violating Art. 19.3 of the Code of Administrative Offences of the Russian Federation (Disobedience to the order of a police man).